Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1955 Chevy Radio

Another R/R sucess? A project completed? How can that be?
The radio is now back in the hands of its owner!  I hope it works in the car as well as it did on the bench.  After adding the new Potentiometer, and the final tweaking and getting the shields in place ~ It worked great.  All the daytime stations were tunable, no more noise gap in the tuning range.  It sounds OK...

The one issue I found was in the new the variable resistor/volume control.  The switch and the main control seemed to work OK but the control seemed "loose" to me. When it was soldered in place, my suspicions were confirmed, the control was noisy, the wiper of the second resistor is not very tight. 

I pondered what to do about this and accidentally came up with a solution that worked great.. The second resistor (R51A) is not the volume control per se, but sets an AC ground path thru C22:

It looked like the problem was the bounce of the wiper was causing the noise, that is it went to infinite resistance temporarily and then when it reconnected with the resistance caused the noise.  So as an experiment, I wanted to see if I could bypass the resistor so C22 always would have at least some contact at all times.  I placed a 100k resistance between the wiper and ground and it cleared the issue up 100% !  It worked so well I left my test resistor in place and never heard the issue again.  Since the resistance is so large a 1/4W resistor was fine and fits nicely between the terminals.

 The original in place...

Control  Assy was pulled from another radio,  we were not sure they would work but the values were same even though it was from a differnt model year.

 Some damage on the original may explain the lack of switch control, the terminal board is cracked and this smay have caused the cam to slip off the switch control. 

I'll put some pics up later of the radio in the car after it gets installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment