Monday, February 7, 2011

Big Tools

OK so back to the garage this weekend. I finally got around to putting the buggy engine on the todo. 

VW engines are very unique, this is my first rebuild so a "4-hour" job is taking a few months... I got the rocker arms on, after figiting with the torque wrench for a while...I forgot this thing is in inch-lbs, of course the specs are in ft-lbs (and kg -somethings) anyway for some reason it took me a while to relaize the micrometer ticks are x1.2 inches each so the big scale is ft-lbs (duh 10 times what is 12? ~ I needed more coffee)

Rocker Bolts

Anyway, torqued the bolts to 18 ft-lbs and started adjusting all the valves to 0.006"  I think I got it, start at #1 TDC, set the valves rotate 180 CCW set #2 etc...  
Kind of a 3-handed operation

.006 slips in ~ .007 does not

Humm I wonder if this thing takes more than one rev to get back to the #1 igniton phase? If so you just can't go by the timing mark...I wonder if #1 was on the ignition TDC cycle or the "idle" when I started? 


So, OK I still need to check that out.  I think it is OK because it looked like, the rockers were at the highest point, trying to let the springs close the valves.  I need to verify with the distributor position ~ if it is in the #1 fire position to be sure...Oh well, next weekend! 

I may get this thing off the stand this decade (well it was when I originally posted in 2010)  - if all goes well! On the sand by next year! haha

"...Just add oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment